Discover Your Island

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions regarding Student Conduct & Community Standards

  • Q What does Student Conduct & Community Standards do?
  • A Student Conduct & Community Standards assists students who are experiencing a crisis situation, provides educational programs regarding personal and campus safety issues, and oversees conduct issues in regards to the Student Code of Conduct. We also take pride in being an advocate for students when possible.
  • Q Do we tell your parents if you get in trouble?
  • A That depends greatly on the “trouble” in question. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) permits an institution of higher education to disclose to parents or legal guardians the results of conduct hearings if the student is less than 21 years of age and has been found in violation of campus rules regarding alcohol or a controlled substance. 
  • Q What is a conduct hearing?
  • A When a student has been charged with a violation of the code of conduct, the student has several options. If offered, students can participate in an informal resolution meeting with a Student Conduct Officer. The student will be able to indicate if they feel they were in violation or not in violation of the alleged violation. The Conduct Officer will then make a determination regarding the case and send the student an outcome letter, including sanctions, if applicable. In the case of a formal hearing, the hearing panel will hear from the alleged student, if they choose to participate and if the student is found in violation, a sanction shall be determined and the Student Conduct Officer will send the student notification of the hearing panel's decision.
  • Q Do I need a lawyer for a hearing?
  • A No, you do not need a lawyer. However, you do have the right to have any advisor (as long as the individual is not directly involved in the incident) assist you during the hearing process and that individual could be a lawyer, if you would like. The accused and the complainant are responsible for presenting his or her case; therefore the advisor is not permitted to participate directly in any hearing before the hearing body. The advisor is restricted to an advisory role. Students are permitted only one advisor in the hearing or informal resolution meeting. 
  • Q If I get in trouble with the local police will I get in trouble with the University?
  • A Possibly. Occasionally, police reports are passed along to Student Conduct & Community Standards from the University Police Department. We will review each case on an individual basis.
  • Q If I am found in violation of the Student Code of Conduct, how will this affect my academic record?
  • A Most conduct records are on file for 5 to 7 years after the student's last enrollment date, to comply with Texas A&M University System protocols. However, cases resulting in suspension or expulsion may be kept indefinitely and result in a transcript notation as well. Conduct records shall be subject to the restrictions of the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA).
  • Q Can you help me if I am being harassed?
  • A Yes. We would like to help. Please make an appointment and we can discuss your options.
  • Q If I tell you something, is it confidential?
  • A In most situations we are able to keep some level of privacy if you would like. Exceptions do exist regarding allegations of particularly serious issues or if you intend to hurt yourself or someone else. We are here to help you and provide you with options. If you are having a difficult time, let us help you work through it.
  • Q Where can I get more information about my rights and due process?
  • A Information regarding the Student Code of Conduct is available on the web and in the TAMU-CC Student Code of Conduct.